This is the third year that I have prepared a bibliography of poetry by Mormons in print for National Poetry Month. Surprisingly, this year we only added titles to the list — nothing went out-of-print. But don’t think that is because all these books are easy to find.
2009 was a very good year for poetry. I’ve identified 8 new titles published since last year’s list. In addition, seven titles by Karen Kelsay, who let us know about her poetry last year, are included on this year’s list.
The only downside is how difficult it is to get some of these titles. Last year, when I learned that BYU would issue The Complete Poetry of Eliza R. Snow, I ordered a copy from Amazon.com. Three months later the book still hadn’t arrived — BYU never sent it to Amazon. When Amazon canceled the order, I ended up purchasing the book from a dealer.
Unfortunately, this isn’t unusual. BYU normally does this with the books they publish — and the new edition of Discoveries: Two Centuries of Poems by Mormon Women, also released last year, doesn’t even appear on Amazon–or anywhere else for that matter.
Another of the new volumes released last year, Mary Lythgoe Bradford’s Purple, also isn’t available from anywhere but the publisher, Dialogue. But unlike BYU, this is likely because of Dialogue’s relative inexperience in distributing books. In addition, many of the titles published using Lulu, the vanity printer, such as R. A. Christmas’ When it Snowed in Pasadena, released last year, also don’t appear on Amazon or other major sellers, probably because the authors don’t know about alternative printers and distributors who can sell on Amazon at a reasonable price (Lulu charges extra to sell books outside its own website).
The problem with this is, of course, that the titles that don’t make the national distribution network, and through this network appear on Amazon.com and other major booksellers, are hard to find and remain unknown to most of their potential audience. For that audience, its as if the books were never published.
Again this year I tried to be thorough. I’ve compared the authors on this list to those in the Mormon Literature and Culture database, to Andrew Hall’s superb review of what was published in the last year, and last year’s posts and comments about poetry here on A Motley Vision. Of course, it is possible, if not likely, that I have missed something. Please let me know.
Poetry in Print:
- Aitken, Neil. The Lost Country of Sight
- Anderson, Susan Noyes. His Children
- Beeson, Sam. The UnValentine (for children)
- Bennion, Mark D. Psalm & Selah: A Poetic Journey Through The Book of Mormon
- Bradford, Mary L. PURPLE: Poems by Mary Lythgoe Bradford
- Bushman-Carlton, Marilyn. On Keeping Things Small: Poems
- Carabine, Sue. Missionary’s Night Before Christmas (gift book — she has done a whole series of XXX’s Night Before Christmas books)
- Christmas, R. A. A Long Spoon
- Christmas, R. A. City of Roses
- Christmas, R. A. Driving on the Lake Bed
- Christmas, R. A. Housebroken
- Christmas, R. A. Hungry Sunday
- Christmas, R. A. The Kingdom of God–or Nothing!
- Christmas, R. A. When it Snowed in Pasadena
- Collings, Michael R. All Calm, All Bright: Christmas Offerings
- Collings, Michael R. Dark Transformations: Deadly Visions of Change
- Collings, Michael R. In the Void: Poems of Science Fiction, Myth and Fantasy, & Horror
- Collings, Michael R. Naked to the Sun: Dark Visions of Apocalypse
- Collings, Michael R. The Nephiad: An epic poem in twelve books
- Hamblin, Laura. Eyes of a Flounder
- Hatch, Warren. Mapping the Bones of the World
- Hindmarsh, Ted C. Campfire Verses (for children)
- Howe, Susan Elizabeth and Sheree Maxwell Bench. Discoveries: Two Centuries of Poems by Mormon Women
- Jepson, Eric W. et al. Plain and Precious Parts from The Fob Bible
- Jepson, Eric W. et al. The Fob Bible
- Johnson, Kimberly. Leviathan With a Hook
- Johnson, Kimberly. A Metaphorical God: Poems
- Kelsay, Karen. Buttercup Garden (ebook for children)
- Kelsay, Karen. Karen Kelsay Collected Poems
- Kelsay, Karen.
- Kelsay, Karen. Forever in Avalon
- Kelsay, Karen. In Spite of Her
- Kelsay, Karen. Somewhere Near Evesham
- Kelsay, Karen.
- Larsen, Lance. Backyard Alchemy: Poems
- Larsen, Lance. Erasable Walls
- Larsen, Lance. In All Their Animal Brilliance: Poems
- Liu, Timothy. Bending the Mind Around the Dream’s Blown Fuse (As I understand it, Liu no longer considers himself Mormon)
- Liu, Timothy. Burnt Offerings
- Liu, Timothy. For Dust Thou Art
- Liu, Timothy. Of Thee I Sing
- Liu, Timothy. Polytheogamy (Poet/Artist Collaboration)
- Liu, Timothy. Say Goodnight
- Liu, Timothy. Vox Angelica
- Pearson, Carol Lynn. Beginnings & Beyond: An Anthology of Poetry
- Pearson, Carol Lynn. In Love Again and Always
- Snow, Eliza R. (edited by Jill Mulvay Derr and Karen Lynn Davidson) Eliza R Snow: The Complete Poetry
- Swenson, May. Centaur, The (for children)
- Swenson, May. The Complete Love Poems of May Swenson
- Swenson, May. Dear Elizabeth: Five Poems & Three Letters to Elizabeth Bishop
- Swenson, May. May Out West
- Swenson, May. Nature: Poems Old and New
- Swenson, Paul. Iced at the Ward, Burned at the Stake
- Talbot, John. The Well-Tempered Tantrum
- Tanner, Javen, Curses for Your Sake