Last year for National Poetry Month, I prepared a bibliograph of poetry by Mormons in print. I was, of course, surprised by how much there was that I didn’t know about and hadn’t included in the list.
I think I’ve done a better job this year.
I’m not sure that the nature or quality of the list is significantly different this year. Most of those added are not new books, but authors that weren’t included last year.
Probably the most notable poet on the list is Tim Liu, who I knew when I was at BYU, but who, as I understand it, does not consider himself to be Mormon any more.
I’ve also found a few additional works published through Lulu, a self-publishing print-on-demand service, which has the unfortunate side-effect of unusually high cover prices on most books.
I’ve compared the authors on this list to those in the Mormon Literature and Culture database, to Andrew Hall’s superb review of what was published in the last year, and last year’s comments. Of course, it is possible, if not likely, that I have missed something. Please let me know.
I’ve also included at the bottom of this post a list of out-of-print titles that I’ve removed from the list, or considered and discovered that they are now out-of-print.
Poetry in Print:
- Aitken, Neil. The Lost Country of Sight
- Anderson, Susan Noyes. His Children
- Beeson, Sam. The UnValentine (for children)
- Bushman-Carlton, Marilyn. On Keeping Things Small: Poems
- Carabine, Sue. Missionary’s Night Before Christmas (gift book — she has done a whole series of XXX’s Night Before Christmas books)
- Christmas, R. A. A Long Spoon
- Christmas, R. A. City of Roses
- Christmas, R. A. Driving on the Lake Bed
- Christmas, R. A. Housebroken
- Christmas, R. A. Hungry Sunday
- Christmas, R. A. The Kingdom of God–or Nothing!
- Collings, Michael R. Naked to the Sun: Dark Visions of Apocalypse
- Collings, Michael R. All Calm, All Bright: Christmas Offerings
- Collings, Michael R. Dark Transformations: Deadly Visions of Change
- Hamblin, Laura. Eyes of a Flounder
- Hatch, Warren. Mapping the Bones of the World
- Hindmarsh, Ted C. Campfire Verses (for children)
- Jepson, Eric W. et al. Plain and Precious Parts from The Fob Bible (The Fob Bible itself will be released June 1st)
- Johnson, Kimberly. Leviathan With a Hook
- Johnson, Kimberly. A Metaphorical God: Poems
- Larsen, Lance. Backyard Alchemy: Poems
- Larsen, Lance. Erasable Walls
- Larsen, Lance. In All Their Animal Brilliance: Poems
- Liu, Timothy. Bending the Mind Around the Dream’s Blown Fuse (As I understand it, Liu no longer considers himself Mormon)
- Liu, Timothy. Burnt Offerings
- Liu, Timothy. For Dust Thou Art
- Liu, Timothy. Of Thee I Sing
- Liu, Timothy. Polytheogamy (Poet/Artist Collaboration)
- Liu, Timothy. Say Goodnight
- Liu, Timothy. Vox Angelica
- Pearson, Carol Lynn. Beginnings & Beyond: An Anthology of Poetry
- Pearson, Carol Lynn. In Love Again and Always
- Swenson, May. Centaur, The (for children)
- Swenson, May. The Complete Love Poems of May Swenson
- Swenson, May. Dear Elizabeth: Five Poems & Three Letters to Elizabeth Bishop
- Swenson, May. May Out West
- Swenson, May. Nature: Poems Old and New
- Swenson, Paul. Iced at the Ward, Burned at the Stake
- Talbot, John. The Well-Tempered Tantrum
- Tanner, Javen, Curses for Your Sake
- Caldiero, Alex. Various Atmospheres
- Caldiero, Alex. Body/Dreams/Organs
- Card, Orson Scott. An Open Book: Poems
- Howe, Susan Elizabeth and Sheree Maxwell Bench, eds. Discoveries: Two Centuries of Poems by Mormon Women
- King, Arthur Henry. Conversion: Poems of the Religious Life, 1963-1994
- Pearson, Carol Lynn. Day-old Child and other Celebrations of Motherhood
- Whiting, Linda Shelley. My Wilderness and Other Poems