Pop: Mormons are très Canadian

The October 2004 issue of In Focus (a publication of the National Association of Theatre Owners [hey! Trade mags are ultra-hip so you can keep the snide comments to yourself]) features an interview with South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone. The interview ends with this exchange:

“Between “Orgazmo” and the “South Park” Mormon episode, do you fear layovers in Utah?

MATT: No. Mormons love us. Not all Mormons, but Mormons love it. They’re like Canadians — they just like being paid attention to.

I am fascinated by Mormonism, and I think we’ll probably end up doing a movie or something about Mormonism, because it’s just too good. It’s too funny.”

Yes, I admit it. I do indeed yearn for the attention of Messrs. Stone and Parker. Because I’m too good, and too funny, and darn it I deserve a marionette of my own.

My thanks to Clark Goble of Mormon Metaphysics for the link.

ALSO: I have no comment on the whole Canadian comparison.

11 thoughts on “Pop: Mormons are très Canadian”

1. I guess being Canadian and Mormon, I should be doubly pleased. Considering the source of the statement, I think I’ll pass on the pleasure and put it off for another day. Perhaps.

Posted by Kim Siever

2. Nope.

That was me trying to play up the trés/Trey thing and forgetting how to spell the French word.

Thanks for the reminder — my wife pointed this out last night, but I forgot to correct it.

Posted by William Morris

3. I hope I am not being a pest, but as I pointed out in my second comment it is spelled “très” not “trè”.

:):)

(Double smileys to make up for hijacking your comments with my nitpicking)

Posted by Kim Siever

4. No problem. I’d rather be corrected so I’m not blatantly adevertising my ignoranc.e

That’s odd though — I though I had fixed it. The URL I posted on A Soft Answer has the ‘s’ in it. Anyway — should (finally) be correct now.

Posted by William Morris

5. Ahh, South Park. While I think it’s healthy to laugh at cultural quirks, (fetch, y’all) I don’t like the grit with which South Park mocks anything (LDS or not). Take the Simpsons for example. Somehow Matt Groening has been able to poke fun of just about every stereotype South Park exploits, but it’s done in a more good natured, universal, and more genuinely funny way.

So, of course the ultimate mockers (SP) saying they love those whom they mock is no surprise. They need good fodder for their brand of humor.

By the way, have you seen ads for their new movie Team America? More *propatainment in the Michael Moore tradition.

* Trying desperately to coin a new term here. What do you think?

Posted by Joe Pemberton

6. Great point about the ‘grit’, Joe. I don’t have cable so it’s been awhile since I’ve seen South Park, but I agree with your analysis of the differences between it and the Simpsons.

I have seen the ads — that’s what the whole marionette reference is about. I don’t have much to say about it — other than, how could one not spoof the neocons?

RE: propatainment. I love it.

Although it looks like great minds think alike in this instance.

Don’t feel bad though. I once coined the term ‘blandiose’ to describe Hollywood producers — only to discover that I wasn’t the first to come up with such a clever idea and apply it to the same context.

I think what both these examples show is that certain phenomenona are so egregious that they cry out for these terms to be invented and so the Zeitgeist responds. So you and I should be proud that we are so well-tapped in to the Zeitgeist.

Posted by William Morris

7. After reading the interview w/ South Park creators regarding Team America I’m actually wanting to see it now. I enjoy how they rip equally on the left and the right – considering both Bush’s antics and Hollywood leftist activists George Clooney both fair game. They, apparently see this for what it is – entertainment. Whereas, Michael Moore takes himself way too seriously.

______

I’m still claiming “fauxcabulary” as my invention – you know, for the whole phenomenon of making up words on the fly. They work very well in meetings where corpospeak is required.

You’ll see my reference to fauxcabulary on Typophile hitting the # 4 spot on Google, but if you dig you’ll see the earliest reference is mine! (Ahem, at least according to Google it was at the time.) Don’t you love how Google is the authoritative source?! Scary.

Posted by Joe Pemberton